Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Professional Dancer as Nurse Embarks on Scientific and Humanistic Inquiry


"It never occurred to me on concluding my career as a performer and teacher with The Toronto Dance Theatre that I would be able to integrate my experiences and skills as an artist into my life as a nurse. However, as a graduate student in nursing it is becoming increasingly evident that I have entered into an interstitial space that holds possibility and opportunities to rethink human embodiment."
We include a brief excerpt below from the paper "The Nurse's Foot: a Phenomenological Exploration" as published in CCAHTE Journal, March 2007, written by Coralee McLaren, BScN
"No longer separating the nurse from the dancer, I am embarking on a scientific and humanistic inquiry to reconceptualize how children with cerebral palsy experience their bodies and movement through space. In preparation for this challenge, I engage here in a concentrated phenomenological exercise that demands a presencing and attuning to my own physical world through the reuniting of my "old body" (F. Wynn, 2006) with the 'thing' that occupied my life as a professional modern dancer, the floor under my foot. What follows (in the paper) are my words and thoughts as I attempt to describe the reacquaintance of my nurse's foot with this 'thing', the floor. With the guidance of others who have undertaken similar experiments, I welcome the opportunity to return to an artistic sensibility that reveals my dancer/nurse body's need for repair and repose, and re-attunes me not only to how I experience my own physicality, but how I might appreciate the bodily experiences of others."
"...By composing a research study that integrates experiences in dance/choreography, pediatric neurosurgical nursing and qualitative phenomenological methods, I hope to extend the boundaries of existing knowledge about children with disabilities and possibly use this new knowledge to design clinical psychosocial, technological and place-based interventions to improve their quality of life and enhance their ways of being in the world."
Coralee McLaren, BScN
Faculty of Nursing, University of Toronto
from: "The Nurse's Foot: A Phenomenological Exploration"
published in CCAHTE, The Canadian Creative Arts in Health, Training and Education Journal
March 2007 issue.
Photo by Cylla von Tiedemann
CCAHTE subscribers can access complete March issue and the full article free at http://www.cmclean.com/
Subscribe free with an email to ccahte@cmclean.com "please subscribe"